During Shri Mukherjee's presidency, five villages in the districts of Gurugram and Mewat were selected to implement various programmes based on a convergence model with the support of ministries of the Central Government, State Governments, public and private sector organisations, NGOs and individuals.
Based on the encouraging results from initial five villages, the SmarTGram initiative has been expanded to clusters covering 103 villages. The Foundation intends to replicate this model to more States, by identifying clusters of 5-15 villages in each of the identified States for development as SmarTGrams.
It started as an initiative and has now evolved into a SmarTgram Mission. Through this the Pranab Mukherjee Foundation works with the state governments, district administration and local area leaders and officials through its various interventions, covering not only the overall health and hygiene in these villages but also all infrastructure like 24/7 electricity, roads construction, the appointment of garbage pickers, use of solar interventions and renewable energy. We collaborate with people of the villages and specialised government and non-government organisations to deliver services in chosen villages.
The components under the programme have been identified taking into account of following activities which are mentioned as below:
- Organize Programmes to disseminate information on Pranab Mukherjee Foundation, its partners, interventions and Government schemes and services.
- Promotion of Sustainable Agricultural Practices – promotion of various types of farming practices including Organic Farming, Integrated Nutrient Management Farming practices and Zero Budget Farming.
- R&D activities on the locally available agri-produce to develop new value-added products and promotion of Entrepreneurship and Skill Development in Food and Personal Care product industry as an avenue for livelihood and employment.
- Deployment of a network of Local Resource Persons (LRPs) across the villages as initiators and promoters of change - a start towards creating CBOs.
- Access to affordable healthcare through e-Doctor Clinics and AYUSH centres and create awareness amongst the community on Mental Health and Wellbeing.
- Improve the learning level of students through Education Technology and by filling the vacancies at the Government Schools by appointment of Substitute teachers.
- Improve access to clean and safe drinking water.
- Training and capacity building of all the stakeholder including the PMF staff.
- Marketing Initiatives to find linkages for the farmer produce and value-added products in the Market.
Following are the various kinds of projects undertaken so far:
- Teacher Training and MindSmart Student Training on Adolescent
- Health and Mental Well-being
- LifeSkills Training Program for Students
- Women Empowerment
- Lado Pustakalayas (Library for Girls)
- AYUSH Wellness Centres
- PMF Pathshalas
- Organic Farming
- Promotion of Clean Energy and its EquipmentOutreach Programmes
- Providing support to Farmers
- Providing safe drinking water in SmarTgrams through Water ATMs
- E-doctor Clinics
- Need Assessment for Health facilities and household expenditures
- Construction of a Gramalaya (Village Sectatriat)
- Construction of a Government Senior Secondary School
- Teacher Training and Capacity
- Building Pre-Assessment Surveys in Schools